Emotional Intelligence (EI) focuses on understanding the emotions and attitudes of others. To manage
relationships effectively, we need to not only understand ourselves, but also increase what we know
about others. EI emphasizes four key competencies for leadership success:
Self-awareness–the ability to understand our own emotions and how they impact others
Social awareness–the ability to understand the emotions of others
Self-management–the ability to think before acting
Relationship management–the ability to build rapport with others
Grasping the realities of organizational behavior begins with an understanding of personality and
behavioral tendencies. Case Study 1 is designed to address issues pertaining to the emotions, attitudes,
and job satisfaction of others. Read the “Trader Joe’s” case study on page W-99 in the back of your
textbook to examine how emotions, attitudes, and job satisfaction influence decision-making.
Write a four (4) page paper in which you:
1. Examine the approach Trader Joe’s uses to promote a positive work environment for its
employees. Determine at least three (3) ways in which Trader Joe’s is able to increase job
satisfaction and performance.
2. Determine how Trader Joe’s uses the management process (planning, organizing, leading, and
controlling) to develop its employees.
3. Suggest two (2) ways that leaders can effectively manage relationships in general by using the
four (4) EI competencies.
4. Recommend at least three (3) leadership practices that Trader Joe’s could implement in order to
increase the competitive edge of the organization. Provide a rationale for your response.
5. Use at least five (5) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other
Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all
sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your
professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s
name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in
the required assignment page length.