Presentation of strategic issues: identification of
appropriate issues to be analyzed and the tools and
techniques for analysis.
Application of concepts: use of concepts and tools
that you have been studying to gain insight.
Consideration of conflicting opinions: examination
of other points of view, the appropriateness of tools
not chosen for analysis, conflicting information.
Recommendation is valid: support of diagnosis or
conclusions with reasons and evidence.
Overview of Format
Note that your text should be double-spaced, 1-inch margins, with indented paragraphs.
Do not double space between paragraphs. Case analyses should contain headings for each
section to organize your document. Both case analyses and homework should be
approximately two pages in text length (500-600 words), but may have supplemental
attachments such as charts and tables, appropriately labeled. Every case and homework
will be submitted to the assignment link in Moodle, but please bring a copy to class for your
In a case analysis, we do not summarize the case. The text has provided that information
for you. Examine the text questions and consider the case from a managerial position in
your firm. A typical case analysis you should do the following:
Identify the short term problem
Identify the long term problem (i.e., scale, scope of operations, core competencies)
Identify the issues – points of debate: make sure the issue has a bearing on the decision
Generate alternatives – plausible, meaningful
Recommendation – why
Action plan – how
Your headings for the case will be:
Short Term Problem
Long Term Problem
(1) A title page and reference page should be provided for all homework assignments.
(2) APA format should be followed for the citations in the text and for the references.
(3) Use headings and subheadings to organize your work.
(4) Cite the sources of your information in the text of the document (Radebaugh, et.al, 2014) with full references at the end.
(5) Make use of the online resources provided in the Moodle forum, with reference to the text.
(6) Limit your quoted material. The rule of thumb for quotes is (a) don’t quote unless there’s no other way to say it; (2) Quote only for impact.
(7) Write in 3rd person objective…recall this is a brief for your firm.
Here is one area that I would suggest you use for future research. You’ll note that I have linked a number of national and international organizations in the course homepage. These should be used initially to conduct your research as they contain a significant amount of information regarding the quantitative data for the homework assignments. For instance, most current GDP, GNP, demographic information, etc. may be found in these sites