Directions: A substantive paragraph or more for each question should be included to demonstrate your understanding of the concepts. Please…
Directions: A substantive paragraph or more for each question should be included to demonstrate your understanding of the concepts. Please include a reference to support your ideas in this assignment. Take the time to cover all the elements of the question thoroughly and succinctly.
The Worksheet contains two parts. Please complete both parts.
PART I – Autism Spectrum Disorder is characterized as a disorder in which children display deficits in: a) social interaction, b) verbal and nonverbal communication, and c) repetitive behaviors or interests (National Institute of Mental Health, 2007). For this worksheet, visit the links below and read one individual story a child with autism. Then answer the following questions:
1) 1) Based on your reading, how can Autism Spectrum Disorders be treated?
2) 2) What factors tend to influence the high prevalence rates in autism diagnoses amongst children today?
1. http://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2012/06/06/bullying-military-kids-story for a story about a child
2. http://www.autismspeaks.org/search/apachesolr_search/child story to select a story about a child
3. http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism for an overview
4. http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/prevalence for prevalence
PART II – Gifted children are those who display extremely high cognitive and academic achievement skills. Special Education is often viewed as services for children who struggle or fall behind. Gifted children also receive special education services (e.g. an Individual Education Plan) much in the same way in which children with cognitive deficits and learning disabilities do. Please visit the link below and answer then answer the following questions:
1) 1) Based on your reading, what means do school districts use to help identify gifted children?
2) 2) What (if any) special education services do you think are available to gifted children in your opinion, should gifted children receive special education services? Why? Why Not?