for njosh only
In preparation for this discussion, review the following resources:
- Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, and Nexters in Your Workplace
- Baby Boomers and Generation Y @ Work (While Gen X caught in the middle)
- Generational Differences in Work Values
- Millennials or Generation Y, Who They Are and Why They’re Hated
As presented in the readings this week, the generational mix in the workplace can create opportunities for conflict and cohesion. Please respond to the following prompts:
- Your work manager has asked you to bring together a group of co-workers to form a project team that will look at a new software system to manage customer accounts. Currently, the customer account system is very complex and a manual process, but the system works and has been in place and efficiently managed for over 30 years. You decide to create a project team of multiple generations. Your manager asks you why you made this decision. Explain to her why you have chosen Baby Boomer, Generation X, and Generation Y team members by explaining the unique attributes each could bring to the team.
- Have you experienced generational conflict at work or in another part of your life? Has your reading this week on generations changed your views regarding this experience or helped you understand what occurred? Share your experience and how your views may have changed.
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7.
WK3 DIS 2
The use of social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter is so widespread today that they have become tools for employers to evaluate their current and prospective employees. However, most people use these sites primarily to portray the personal and more informal aspects of their lives. In fact, the average person is unaware of just how much the boundary between their personal and work lives are disappearing due to these sites.
Please watch the Dangers of Social Media in the Workplace video that addresses how employers may use social media when considering a potential employee, and then address the questions below.
- Should employers be allowed to assess current and/or prospective employees based on their social media sites? Why or why not?
- Describe at least three different examples of how a current employee’s social media use could jeopardize their job and professionalism in the workplace.
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7. Can you make sure they are seperated from 1 and 2 thank you.