PurposeThe purpose of this PowerPoint presentation is to locate and compare performance measurement data on common health conditions for the hospitals in your area. You will investigate the Centers fo
The purpose of this PowerPoint presentation is to locate and compare performance measurement data on common health conditions for the hospitals in your area. You will investigate the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services websites and locate the section called Hospital Compare. There you will find data for hospitals within a 50-mile radius of the community where you are working or had your prelicensure clinical experiences. You will prepare a PowerPoint presentation and share the results of your findings. Opportunities for improving performance measurement indicators will be shared.
1. Review information found on the following website related to hospital compare http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/HospitalQualityInits/HospitalCompare.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
2. Read the information carefully and then locate the following website. http://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcompare (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
3. Search for hospitals within a 50-mile radius of the community where you are working or had your prelicensure clinical experiences. Type in your zip code. Select your hospital and two others. Select hospitals/facilities and choose compare. If you live in a remote area and there are no hospitals listed within a 50-mile radius, select a zip code for a family member or a close friend who does not live near you. The idea is to review comparative data.
4. Click on the following topics to learn more.
a. Survey of patient’s experiences
b. Timely and effective care (focus your search on two of the conditions that apply to services provided at the hospitals)
c. Readmissions, complications, and deaths
5. Carefully read the information provided.
6. Develop a PowerPoint slideshow consisting of 8-10 slides. Include the following, keeping in mind what all this data means.
a. Title slide with information pertinent to the course.
b. List reasons to recommend the website Hospital Compare to consumers (patients).
c. List reasons to recommend the website Hospital Compare to staff who may seek employment.
7. For the slides below, clearly label the name of each hospital:
a. Summarize patient experiences data for each hospital.
b. Summarize timely and effective care data for two conditions.
c. Summarize data for readmissions and complications and deaths.
d. List recommendations for improving data for one selected facility.
e. Summarize what you learned from this experience.
8. Tutorial: For those not familiar with the development of a PowerPoint slideshow, the following link to the Microsoft website may be helpful. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/training-FX101782702.aspx (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. The Chamberlain Student Success Strategies (SSPRNBSN) offers a module on Computer Literacy that contains a section on PowerPoint. The link to SSPRNBSN may be found in the course list in the student portal.
9. You are required to complete the assignment using the productivity tools required by Chamberlain University, which is Microsoft Office Word 2013 (or later version), or Windows and Office 2011 (or later version) for MAC. You must save the file in the “.pptx” format. A later version of the productivity tool includes Office 365, which is available to Chamberlain students for FREE by downloading from the student portal at http://my.chamberlain.edu (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Click on the envelope at the top of the page.
Textbook : Finkelman, A., 2016 Leadership and Management for Nurses: Core Competencies for Quality Care (3rd Edition), Pearson Learning Solutions, Boston, MA
Best Practices in Preparing PowerPoint Presentations:
The following are best practices in preparing this presentation.
-Incorporate graphics, clip art, or photographs to increase interest.
-Make easy to read with short bullet points and large font.
-Review directions thoroughly.
– Zip Code to use: 10004