This week, pick the sport that you will be observing. Do some research on it, and answer the following questions in a paper of 1–2 pages:
- What is the history of this particular sport?
- What is the sociodemographic description of fans and players? Explain whether your sport is amateur or professional.
- How does this sport fit into contemporary American life?
- What cultural trends have impacted it? (For example, is this event or sport covered by the sports media? How does that impact the experience of it?)
- Find at least 2 articles or readings that discuss the sport. Discuss at least 2 of the following: class, sex, race, education, age, and how your sport represents society.
- What is your best sense as a beginning sociologist of the meaning of your sport as a social institution?
Be sure to cite your sources using proper APA format.